Saturday, October 18, 2008

i also saw Julio as a giant passage

The passage that inspired the painting:

I also saw Julio as a giant. Often. But one night in particular I saw him bigger than at other times. I'd been lain on my back by the medicine. I couldn't feel my body much less move it. Wind began to howl. From every direction. Not just howl, but howl like the wind at the four corners of the universe howls. And I realized that that's where I was, at the place where the wind begins. And in order not to be blown out of the universe I grabbed a coattail and held on for dear life. And I realized the coattail was worn by someone so large I couldn't see their knees. But I held on and let the wind rush through me, tearing me to glorious pieces. And then the sky opened up like a curtain being pulled back, and there was Julio, riding a bicycle as big as the sky. Attached to it's rear wheel were two flaps being powered by the motion of the wheel. And the flaps were making the wind that was blowing through me, the wind that was at the beginning of all wind. And Julio was pedaling fast, keeping the wind blowing, and laughing the most gentle and giving of laughs.

And in the morning he laughed when he asked if I liked his bicycle. I said I found it the most amazing thing.

Peter Gorman
http://www.pgorman.com/index.htm

No comments: